Wednesday, August 5, 2009

zarela


new york, ny

CLOSED

one of my favorite close-to-work spots and possibly my favorite mexican restaurant in the city. the cuisine is apparently authentic oaxacan, but all i know is that it's yummy. my go-to dish here is the chicken mole enchiladas. best mole ever. note that it appears as an appetizer on the dinner menu but is definitely enough food for an entree. if the waiter balks because of the $15 table minimum, just assure him that you'll make up the difference in alcohol. unfortunately the enchiladas didn't translate well with my blackberry camera so i took a picture of my last flauta and a pile of guac instead. sorry.

i have been here a lot, so i also recommend the flautas, tamales, sangria, watercress salad, and arroz con crema. i don't drink tequila, but my friends enjoy the flavored margaritas. definitely save room for desserts - they're AMAZING. the peanut butter pie, the chocolate pecan pie, and the crepes with caramel sauce are the best, imho.

No comments:

Post a Comment