Monday, September 21, 2009

congee village


new york, ny

website

i love congee. it's comfort food. my mom used to make it for me when i got sick and i even make it for derek when he gets sick. of course, i prefer to have someone else cook it, but it's hard to find. why aren't there more chinese restaurants serving this stuff? several years ago, cindy c dragged me out of morningside heights and downtown to get congee at congee village. it's still my favorite congee place in the city and fortunately now i live much closer.

derek and i come here frequently with friends for good cheap chinese food. a bowl of pork and preserved egg congee for $2.95 is enough to feed two people. you tiao (deep fried dough) to dip into the congee is only $1.00. zha man tou (fried bread) to dip into a plate of sweetened condensed milk (yum) for just $1.50. you can also order sauteed vegetables and noodles, but make sure you get the essentials.

4 comments:

  1. I think congee will always remind me of you. I tried to order it once in a chinese restaurant when I was by myself, and they looked at me like I was crazy, like I didn't understand what I was ordering.

    Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed. i think you just have to bring me with you next time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i come to new york in december WE ARE GOING HERE.

    ReplyDelete