Sunday, January 3, 2010

thai tom


seattle, wa

link to yelp

the best thai food i've ever had. no one else (that i know of) makes thai food like thai tom. back in undergrad, we used to line up outside the tiny restaurant, waiting for a chance to sit at the bar and get splashed with hot oil. the restaurant was so small that you were seated only a foot or so away from the chef's stir-frying frenzy. ryan informed me that the restaurant recently had a run-in with the department of health over some health code violations. but that certainly didn't stop anyone from eating there. including us.

since there was no way we were going to be able to fit 4 adults, 2 children, and a newborn baby into the restaurant, we decided to order takeout. we all ordered our favorites - mine is the tofu pad thai, cindy's is the penang curry, and ryan's is the swimming rama. all delicious. chris ordered the pad see iew, which was pretty good. pictured is my pad thai with fried tofu. it's an incredible balance of sweet, spicy, and savory. the vegetables magically caramelize in the cooking process. amazing. i wish that all thai restaurants could cook like this. i wish i could cook like this. i wish thai tom had a branch in new york. you seattleites are so lucky.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a UW grad and I've had my fair share of Thai Tom's. Definitely the best. But I'm not surprised about the health violations, last time I ate there a cockroach scurried across the counter in front of me. That's the last time I'll eat there, best of not. Pity. :(

    ReplyDelete